vimb - the vim like browser
Vimb is a fast and lightweight vim like web browser based on the webkit web browser engine and the GTK toolkit. Vimb is modal like the great vim editor and also easily configurable during runtime. Vimb is mostly keyboard driven and does not detract you from your daily work.
If your are familiar with vim or have some experience with pentadactyl the use of vimb would be a breeze, if not we missed our target.
- New setting ‘default-zoom’
- Initial Full-Content Zoom in percent.
- Link activation on search result by
- If a search is performed by
/the element containing the currently highlighted search match can be clicked by hitting
<CR>. This allows to open links containing the search match into the current window.
- New setting ‘closed-max-items’
- Maximum number of stored last closed browser windows. If closed-max-items is set to 0, closed browser windows will not be stored. By default this is 10.
- New option -p, –profile
- This allows to create and run vimb with a seperate named config directory, with own history and bookmarks.
- New setting ‘hint-follow-last’
- If on, vimb automatically follows the last remaining hint on the page (default behaviour). If off hints are fired only if enter is pressed.
There isn’t really much to see for a browser that is controlled via keyboard. But following images may give a impression of they way vimb works.
- vim like usage and keybindings
- follow links via keyboard hints
- read it later queue to collect URIs for later use
- page marks
- tagged bookmarks
- cookie support
- userscripts and user style sheet support
- completions for commands, url history, bookmarks, bookmark tags, variables and search queries
- history for commands, url and search queries
- open textareas with configurable editor
- user defined url shortcuts with up to 9 placeholders
- xembed - so vimb can be used together with tabbed
- kiosk mode without keybindings and context menu
- manipulate http request headers
- custom protocol handlers
- HSTS – HTTP Strict Transport Security
- multiple yank/paste registers
You can get vimb from github by following command.
git clone git://github.com/fanglingsu/vimb.git vimb